Wednesday, August 02, 2006

having vs being

I realized something tonight, when I was talking to Fuul about the new eBook Challenge that PBW posted on her blog:

I really like having stuff.

No, really. I like having things -- not necessarily looking at them, or sharing them, or doing anything with them. But having them? Yeah, baby; I'm there.

I have Star Wars action figures. (Unopened. In boxes.) I have Harry Potter action figures. (Unopened. In boxes.) I have a beautiful bass guitar. (Enshrined in its case, rarely played.) I have boxes and boxes of beautiful fabric. (Heaven forbid they get cut into!)

And therein lies the problem, I think. I have stories. Lots of them. (In my head. Untapped.) Because once you open them, once you share them, once they are used up, then the potential is gone. I won't have them anymore. And I like having things.

I'm going to work on that, though. I've recently started using all that fabric that I've been having for years, and I'm finding that I like having it in quilts and baby dresses and other fun things, maybe even more than having it in a box. Sure, I can never do anything else with that particular peice, but look at the wonder I was able to produce by no longer having it! Its a better thing, and I'm better, for not having any longer.

I've got to stop having those stories in my head, and let them start being what they can be. And that will be all the better for them and for me!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jude said...

You sound like a hoarder. Start to free yourself of the clutter- it's therapeutic and we'll get to hear some of those stories too!

4:39 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Here-here! Set your muse free! The real joy is seeing those ideas in your head take life!

4:36 PM  
Blogger bella said...

Thanks, both of you!

Last night I wrote up 15-ish word descriptions of nine of my stories, and picked one to work on for PBW's challenge. Its a new one to me (ie: I haven't tried to get this one out again) and I think it will work well for a shorter piece.

So, feel free to wish me luck! LOL

11:13 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Good Luck!!!!
:-)

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home